The Village of Warrens is seeking applicants for a Public Works Assistant.
POSITION SUMMARY Provides general labor and technical skills in support of public services, including, but not limited to; sanitary, storm and water utilities, maintenance of public streets and right-of-way, building maintenance, heavy equipment operation, and maintenance of vehicles and equipment. Reports to the Director of Public Works and to the Village Board.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintenance and operation of Water well and distribution system, and sanitary sewer collection system, including the use of a computer to operate the water and sewer system.
• Monitoring and operation of wells, hydrants, and valves.
• Performs installation of water meters, taking water samples, keeping accurate records.
• Performs sewer main, manhole inspections, and lift station inspections.
• Accurately reads and records water meter readings and coordinates with the Utility Billing Clerk. Performs final meter readings as assigned. Tests and records data for meter maintenance.
• Maintains public streets and right-of-way. Removes snow, brush pick-up, garbage pick-up, minor pavement repair, flatwork, repair, and clean drainage ditches and catch basins around the village.
• Assists in maintenance of our park along with the Lions Log building maintenance. May include mowing and trimming grass, emptying trash and recycling containers, checking building frequently for trash and cleanliness.
• Minor repair and maintenance duties may be assigned for all Village buildings, including heating and cooling, electrical and plumbing.
• Operates various major equipment and vehicles as necessary to carry out duties assigned including mowers, snow plows, dump trucks, tractors, backhoe, and street sweeper.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Ability to operate a variety of tools and equipment including; hand tools, dump truck and plow, backhoe, street sweeper, brush chipper, chain saws, lawn mowers and tractors, various other small power tools.
• Ability to maintain equipment and vehicles assigned to operate and evaluate when such maintenance or repairs can be completed in-house or requires outside services.
• Ability to manage multiple work assignments, prioritize, and complete all assignments accurately and in a timely manner.
• Ability to take direction, facilitate communication, resolves problems, work individually and as part of a team, receive and give constructive criticism.
• Ability to troubleshoot, make sound decisions and exercise good judgment in the absence of supervision.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, calculate decimals and percentages.
• Ability to take direction from the Public Works Director and from the Village of Warrens Board.
• Ability to read and deliver information, explain procedures and follow directions and instructions accurately and in a timely manner.
• Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the general public, board members, administration, supervisors, other Village employees, construction contractors, and others. +
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND TRAINING
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Must possess a valid Wisconsin driver’s license and access to an operable and licensed vehicle.
• Must possess a valid Class B, Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or ability to obtain a Class B within 3 months of the date of hire.
• Position requires some overtime work in the winter and occasional overtime in the summer.
• Waterworks Operator Certification from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
• Wastewater Operator Certification from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
• Experience as a heavy equipment operator (backhoe, excavator, loader).
• This position is performed in both indoor and outdoor settings, possibly in adverse weather conditions along with the ability to sit, stand and walk and do repetitious tasks for an extended period of time.
• Requires the ability to lift loads of up to 100 pounds.
• Requires the ability to climb and descend a ladder.
• Requires the ability to operate/use hand tools, power tools, motorized vehicles, and equipment.
• Requires the ability to effectively communicate verbally with citizens and other staff members.
To Apply: Please submit your resume no later than April 30, 2019. Send, or hand deliver to: Village of Warrens, PO Box 97, 301 Main St., Warrens, WI 54666. Office hours are from 8-4:30, M-F weekdays. The Village of Warrens is an equal opportunity employer.